Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Child Benefit

Child Benefit

Child benefit is paid to people with responsibility for a child under 16, or under 20 if in non-advanced education or approved training. Child benefit is not means tested so the amount you get will not be affected by your student income, unless you or your partner earns more the £50,000 per year.


To claim Child Benefit you need to fill out a child benefit claim form, which you can get online at


Warning: International students must not claim child benefit as it is a public fund: Tier 4 student immigration permission prohibits the claiming of public funds.


Some EEA nationals can claim child benefit if you satisfy certain residence conditions. Please contact a Welfare Adviser for further advice.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top