Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Supporting documents

Supporting documents

You will need to provide the applicable supporting documents with your Tier 4 application:

Unless you are considered a 'low risk' applicant by UK Visas and Immigration, you must provide the following:

You may need to provide the following:

  • TB test certificate if applying from overseas and resident in an applicable country
  • ATAS clearance if studying an applicable course
  • Permission from your parents if you are 16 or 17
  • Legal documents as evidence of a name change if you have changed your name (NB an affidavit would NOT be acceptable)
  • Evidence of permission to be in third country if you are applying in a country other than your country of nationality (NB you CANNOT apply in a country which you are visiting)
  • Current BRP card (if you have one)
  • Current up-to-date Police Registration Certificate (if applicable)
  • Additional documents if you are planning to bring family members with you as your dependants
  • Letter of consent if you are currently in the UK  and are financially sponsored by a government or an international scholarship agency or your financial sponsorship ended within 12 months of your application being made
  • Any other documents relevant to your application.


All documents you submit must be originals (not photocopies, PDFs, faxes or printouts from the internet)if you applied before 5 November 2018. If you apply on or after 5 November 2018, you can include a copy instead of an original.


If a document is not in English or Welsh, you must provide an English translation of the document. The Home Office policy guidance explains the requirements for translations . If the original qualification was issued in English from your institution, and UK Visas and Immigration would be able to clearly see that this qualification has been issued by your institution,  an additional translation is not required. 


You must submit one UK passport sized photograph taken within the last six months if you are applying from outside the UK. Check that your photograph meets all of the Home Office requirements. You can find a summary of the requirements on the UK Government website.

Warning: Your application could be refused if your photographs do not meet the requirements.

Passport or travel document

You will need to submit your current passport or travel document. Make sure that it has not expired.

Make sure your name and other details are correct in your passport. When QMUL issues you with any documents (such as your degree certificate and your CAS) we will copy your name and other details exactly as they appear in your passport.

If you are applying from overseas, you will also need to submit any previous passports you’ve held unless they have been lost, stolen or returned to the issuing authority.

From 5 November 2018, you will need to take your passport to your biometric appointment to be scanned and you can usually keep your passport whilst your application is pending. 

*You cannot travel outside the UK before you have a decision on your visa application. If you travel before you receive a decision, your application will be withdrawn, and you must make a new application before being able to return to the UK*

Evidence of your qualifications

Your CAS statement will normally confirm that QMUL has assessed your ability to undertake a programme of studies based on a previous qualification. You need to provide the original certificate and/or transcript which is listed on your CAS. If certificates or transcripts are not in English, you will also need to provide an English translation of the document. The Tier 4 policy guidance explains the requirements for translations.

You can tick no to the question on the application form which asks “Have you been assessed by the sponsor by other means, for example references or a portfolio of artwork” because QMUL assesses candidates on academic criteria.

If you submit your Tier 4 application on or after 6 July 2018, you may submit the print out or transcript of results from the awarding body's online checking service. It must include the following:

(1) you name,

(2) the title of the award,

(3) the date of the award, and

(4) the name of the awarding body,

 If you provide a print-out as evidence of your previous qualifications, you may be asked to provide the original certificate or transcript. Your application will be refused if you do not provide the original qualification in accordance with the request made. 

The Home Office have confirmed to QMUL that a HEAR (Higher Education Achievement Report) would meet the above requirements. 

Warning: one of the most common reasons why Tier 4 (General) applications are refused is because an applicant hasn’t provided the documents listed in their CAS statement.

English Language qualifications

You should provide the original English language qualifications listed in your CAS.

If you are studying at degree level (RQF level 6) or above, QMUL can choose how we assess your English language proficiency in all 4 skills. If your CAS says: 'Higher Education Institution (HEI) sponsor has made assessment' you do not need to provide documents to support this with your Tier 4 supporting documents. 

If you are studying a course at below degree level, you will need to provide your Secure English Language Test certificate, as listed on your CAS, with your Tier 4 supporting documents. 

Keep copies of your documents

Warning: You must keep a copy of your online application form, and everything you send with your immigration application, as well as any correspondence you receive from the Home Office. This includes your passport and any supporting documents you send (e.g. photographs, bank statements and certificates).

This is very important as the Home Office may keep all your documents if your immigration application is refused. You will need copies of these documents if you wish to challenge the decision or submit a new application.

If there is a problem with your application, you may need to show your photocopies to a Welfare Adviser in the  so that they can provide you with advice.

If you are a current student and you are in the UK, you can use the photocopiers in the main library to scan your documents onto a USB memory stick.

There is a procedure to request the Home Office to return your documents however, it can take the Home Office a long time to do this and, if you have a deadline to meet (e.g. if you are submitting a new application or challenging a decision) you may not get your documents back in time.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top