Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Can you apply in the UK

Can you apply in the UK?

Can you apply in the UK?

Academic progression

Not yet been awarded the qualification for your current programme?


Can you apply in the UK?

You can apply for Tier 4 immigration permission in the UK if you meet the following requirements:

  • You currently have Tier 4 (General) permission to study at QMUL or at another Higher Education Institution (HEI) or at an independent school, an embedded college offering pathway courses or you have Tier 4 (General) permission as a study abroad student at an overseas HEI in the UK OR
  • You currently have Tier 2 or Tier 4 (Child) immigration permission.

The course start date on your CAS must be before your current immigration permission expires, or no more than 28 days after.

If you currently hold Tier 4 (General) immigration permission, the “Evidence Used” field of your CAS statement must confirm that your new studies show academic progression in order for you to extend in the UK.

Academic Progression

If you currently have or have previously held Tier 4 (General) or Student immigration permission, you must meet UKVI's academic progression requirement.

Academic progression means that:

  • your new programme of studies is at a higher academic level than your previous one; or
  • your new programme of studies is at the same academic level as your previous one and your new programme is connected to your previous studies, part of the same subject group, involves a deeper specialisation or the combination of your new and previous studies will support your career aspirations.

In addition, you must have successfully completed the course for which your current leave was issued in order to make your new application in the UK. You will need to provide evidence of having successfully completed your course with your Tier 4 supporting documents.

You will only be exempt from the academic progression requirement if one of the following applies to you: 

  • your Tier 4 application is for re-sitting an exam or repeating modules
  • you previously re-sat an exam or re-took a module, and your Tier 4 application is to complete that course; or
  • your Tier 4 application is to complete a PhD or other doctoral qualification; or
  • you need more time to complete your studies after working as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer; or
  • you are progressing from a Bachelors to Masters as part of an integrated Masters course; or
  • you are applying to extend in order to undertake a study abroad programme or work placement or because you have previously completed a study abroad programme or work placement
  • you are applying to pursue an intercalating year as part of your medical or dental degree, or are returning to your original course having completed your intercalated year; or
  • your Tier 4 application is for completing a course that you started at a different institution which had its Tier 4 licence revoked

In all other cases, if you have not successfully completed the course for which your current Tier 4 leave was issued, you will need to make your new Tier 4 application from your home country

To assess your academic progress, QMUL needs information about any previous studies in the UK. If your CAS is issued based on incorrect or incomplete information about your previous studies, your application could be refused.

If you have any questions about the level of your programme at QMUL or any previous programmes you have taken, contact the admissions team responsible for your application to QMUL.

Not yet been awarded the qualification for your current programme?

In order for QMUL to confirm academic progress on your CAS, normally you must show that you have successfully completed your previous course and received your result. This is so even if your place on the new programme was not conditional on or based on your previous course.

If you do not yet have your result, the provider of your current course needs to write a letter on official headed paper to the Admissions Office at QMUL which confirms that, based on your performance throughout the course, they judge that you are highly likely to complete your course successfully. If you are already at QMUL and are moving from one course to another, for example from Masters to PhD, you need to ask your academic school to write this letter to the Admissions Office.

If your university is not willing to do this, this means QMUL cannot confirm academic progress on your CAS, and you will need to make your Tier 4 application outside the UK. The only other option, if you are starting a postgraduate research qualification (e.g. a PhD) is if you can defer the start of your programme until after you are awarded your qualification, and then apply in the UK. Check with the Admissions team dealing with your application whether this would be an option for you.

Warning: If the confirmation of academic progress in your CAS is based on a letter judging that you will pass, but in fact you fail, QMUL will withdraw your Tier 4 sponsorship. This will happen even if your offer from QMUL is not based on the degree mentioned in the letter.


Some Syrian nationals

A Syrian national with valid immigration permission may be able to apply in the UK under a concession for Syrian nationals.

Even if you can apply for Tier 4 under the concession, we recommend that you get specialist immigration advice about whether switching to Tier 4 is the best option for you.

Some dependants of overseas diplomats

This is only possible in certain compelling circumstances: please see the guidance written by UKCISA for further information.

We recommend that you contact a Welfare Adviser for further advice if you think this concession applies to you.



Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top