Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Apply outside the UK

Apply outside the UK


When can I apply?

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before the start date of your course. The estimated Tier 4 processing time is within 3 weeks, however applications can take longer, especially during the busy summer period. Make sure you allow enough time for your application to be processed so that you can arrive in the UK in time for the start of your programme of studies. You cannot submit your application until you have been issued a CAS

The form:

You apply and pay for your immigration application online

You can find additional explanations of some of these questions in Guide to completing the online Tier 4 Entry Clearance application form [PDF 793KB]

The fee:

£348 in the currency local to the visa application centre or section.

In some countries there is an additional fee of £59. Check the exact application fee for the country where you will be applying on the UK Government website.

Where to apply

You should apply in the country where you are living.  This might not be your country of origin and refers to the place where you normally live, for example for work or study purposes. Many countries issue overseas nationals with residency cards in these circumstances.

Warning: You cannot apply in a country where you are visiting, unless you also happen to hold a passport of that country or a residence permit that allows you to live there.


Warning: If you are currently inside the UK and you are about to travel outside the UK to submit your immigration application, do not submit your online immigration application form until you have left the UK.


You can find which British visa application centre or section you need to apply to by visiting the UK Government website.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top