Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Request a CAS

Request a CAS

If you are already a student at QMUL, and you need ATAS clearance, you must obtain the ATAS certificate before requesting a CAS. See the section 'Apply for an ATAS certificate'.

A CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) is a record that QMUL creates about you and your programme of full-time studies on a secure Home Office database. It is not a paper document.

If QMUL can sponsor you under Tier 4, the university will create a CAS. They will email you the reference number and a copy of all the information they have provided to the Home Office. You need both the number and the information to complete your Tier 4 application form.

*IMPORTANT* The earliest you can apply for your visa is 3 months before the start date of your course. If you are in the UK, the date of application is the date that you submit your application online. If you are overseas, the date of application will be the date that your application fee is paid. 

A CAS issued for a continuing programme will be issued up to 6 months before the start of the new part of the programme.

The CAS can be used in your Tier 4 application, unless:

  • you have already used it in a Tier 4 application that was granted or refused; or
  • it was issued more than six months ago; or
  • it was withdrawn by either the university or the Home Office

Are you within the Tier 4 time limit (“cap”)

Before issuing your CAS, QMUL will check all your previous Tier 4 immigration permission granted for degree level studies, including periods of leave granted before and after your course. Normally, you can spend a maximum of 5 years and 11 months studying in the UK at degree level with Tier 4 immigration permission. Any old-style student visa for degree-level studies that was issued before Tier 4 existed is also counted towards the cap. 

Medicine and Dentistry are not counted in the 5-year cap, as long as you are applying to start or continue the programme. If you have already completed (or abandoned) a Medicine or Dentistry programme (or a Law or Architecture programme that was exempt when you were studying it), it will be counted.

A first UK PhD, MRes, or one of the other Postgraduate Research Qualifications listed in Annex 5 of the Tier 4 Policy Guidance are exempt from the cap.

However, if you have already completed a Postgraduate Research Qualification, you can only apply for further Tier 4 immigration permission if the new course will bring the total number of years to eight or less. For a full list of acceptable PG research qualifications please see Annex 5 of the Tier 4 Policy Guidance.

The 5-year cap is extended to 6 years if you have successfully completed a 4-year degree course and you are now progressing to a Masters. The 4-year degree must have had a standard length of four years not, for example, a 3-year course with a repeat year. It can be a course with a year in industry or a year abroad.

If you take longer than expected to complete your course, for example because you need to retake part of your course or do resits, and to do so would take you over the five year limit, you can only extend your immigration permission if you had very compelling circumstances, such as injury, disability, or other compelling reasons. You can get further advice from a Welfare Adviser or another regulated immigration adviser before you apply.

Requesting a CAS

New students

When you accept an unconditional offer, the Admissions and Recruitment Office will email you details of how to apply for your CAS. There is no fee for this.

Then when your CAS is being created, you will receive an email asking you to log in to the web portal and check the information is correct before your final CAS is issued. Check the information carefully: it is much easier for staff to correct any errors before the CAS is finalised than to do so later.

Existing students

If you are part way through a programme at QMUL, you can request a CAS by logging in to your MySIS profile. Choose “My Details”.

You will need to upload a copy of the personal details page of your current passport and a copy of your most recent immigration permission (your passport sticker or both sides of your Biometric Residence Permit). There are photocopiers in the main library, which you can use to scan your documents onto a USB memory stick.

A new CAS for an existing student costs £25.

Warning: During busy periods, it can take QMUL between 10 and 15 working days to issue a CAS. Please request your CAS as early as possible.

Check it carefully:

Check that all the information in your CAS statement is correct, especially:

  • Your name, date of birth, nationality and passport number should exactly match the passport you are planning to submit with your immigration application.
  • Check the “Evidence Used” section. It will list any evidence of your qualifications that QMUL used to offer you a place. It will also explain how QMUL has assessed your English language ability, and it will confirm whether your course of study shows academic progression or that you are exempt from this requirement.

Updating your CAS

After it has been issued, your CAS can be updated if necessary. The most common reason to update your CAS is if you pay further tuition fees and this affects how much money you will be showing in your application

Your CAS can in theory be updated at any point before your Tier 4 application is decided.

To request an update on your CAS:

New students: contact

Existing students: contact

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top