Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Appendix 1

Appendix 1

Template letter to send with an application for Student Finance in the EEA Worker category.

Do not use this letter if you are applying as the child of a migrant worker or self-employed – please contact a Welfare Adviser.

Please adapt this letter to describe your own circumstances:

European Economic Area (EEA) Migrant Worker Applications
Student Finance England
PO Box 89
Darlington DL1 9AZ

[Insert date]

Dear Sir/ Madam

Application for Student Support as an EEA Migrant Worker 2021/22

I am a 2nd/3rd/4th year undergraduate student studying on the [course title] at Queen Mary University of London.

I understand that I meet the definition of a migrant worker and should therefore be eligible for full Student Finance in this category because:

  • I am an EU national from [country] who moved to the UK on date/year to live
  • I have been ordinarily resident in the UK since I moved here
  • Prior to moving to the UK I lived in [country] all my life/for [how many] years
  • I have been working as a [job title[ for [company name[ since [month/year[
  • I have also been working [give details if more than one job, otherwise delete this sentence]
  • I work [number of] hours per week and earn £ [amount] per hour. Please see the enclosed letter from my employer and copies of 3 months’ recent payslips as evidence of my employment
  • I intend to continue working for the duration of my course

I understand that I meet the definition of ‘worker’ as set out in Lawrie-Blum [1986] ECR 2121 that:

  • A person must perform services of some economic value
  • The performance of such services must be for and under the direction of another person
  • In return the person concerned must receive remuneration.

I therefore understand that I meet the requirements of the Education (Student Support) Regulations 2011 with regard to personal eligibility for Student Finance as an EEA migrant worker, which state:

Schedule 1 – Eligible Students

Part 1 – Interpretation: Workers, employed persons, self-employed persons and their family members:

6.-(1) A person who-

(a) is- (i) an EEA migrant worker or an EEA self-employed person;

(b) subject to sub-paragraph (2) is ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first academic year of the course; and

(c) has been ordinarily resident in the territory comprising the EEA and Switzerland through the three-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course.

In summary:

  • I am an EEA national who has taken up activity as a worker in the UK
  • I was ordinarily resident in England on 1st September [insert first year of course eg 2020/2019/2018] and was ordinarily resident in the UK or elsewhere in the EEA for three years prior to the start of my course at Queen Mary University of London
  • My employment is not ancillary to my studies - my appointment to my job was in no way conditional on my undertaking degree studies
  • I intend to continue working throughout the duration of my degree course

With this letter I am sending you:

  • My completed PN1 application form for Student Finance
  • My employment contract and a letter from my employer
  • Copies of 3 months’ recent payslips
  • My P60 for the most recent tax year which has ended
  • My original passport/national ID card
  • Evidence of my household income.

I very much hope that you will feel able to consider my application for Student Finance within the EEA Worker category. Please let me know if you need further information.

Thank you for considering my application.

Yours faithfully,

[Your signature]

[Your name (printed)]

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top