Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

A student who is not a European Economic Area or Swiss national, who is studying a postgraduate qualification in certain subject areas, are required to have an ATAS security clearance certificate before starting the course. This includes an undergraduate degree that results in a postgraduate qualification, such as a MEng degree.

Whether you need an ATAS certificate depends on your specific area of study. If you do need it, and you are making a Tier 4 (General) application to study at Queen Mary University of London, you will need to obtain the ATAS certificate before your CAS is issued. Your offer letter will confirm whether you need it.

If you have any other type of immigration permission, you still need an ATAS certificate before you can start the course, if it is in one of the specific subject areas.

For more information about which subject areas and qualifications require an ATAS certificate and to apply online, visit:

There is no charge for applying for an ATAS certificate and you can apply for as many certificates as you have offers.

It can take 30 working days for an ATAS certificate to be issued and sometimes longer during busy periods.

If you already have an ATAS certificate for your programme, and your area of research has changed or your research is taking longer than expected, you must apply for a new certificate.

If you have not had a response from the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) about your ATAS application within four weeks, check your Spam or Junk folder in case it has been filtered out. You can also contact the ATAS Team at the FCO via their website if you think you have missed their response..

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top