Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

About this Advice Guide

About this Advice Guide

Who is this Advice Guide for?

It is for full time Home (England domiciled) and EU/EEA students who are starting, or continuing on, an undergraduate course which began on or after 1 August 2016.

If you are studying on a programme in the School of Medicine and Dentistry, you should instead read the Advice and Counselling Service ‘Funding for Medical and Dental students’ Advice Guide.

If you started your course before 1 August 2016 please contact a Welfare Adviser.  

The Student Loans Company (SLC) have issued guidance for both current students and prospective students and answers to common questions related to the COVID-19 outbreak.

This Advice Guide describes Student Finance that is provided by the UK government. However, many students find that this does not provide enough money to cover all of their costs. Please read the Advice and Counselling Service’s Advice Guide, ‘Additional Sources of Funding’ for information on possible ways of topping up your Student Finance, to meet your costs. 

You will also find it helpful to work out how much money you’ll need to spend as an undergraduate student, so you can compare this with your income. We have budgeting resources on our website including an example undergraduate budget spreadsheet, which you can personalise.

Once you have read the relevant information, if you have further questions and would like advice about your individual situation, please contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service. You can do this at any time during your programme of study, as well as before you start at Queen Mary University of London.


Shaded EU+ boxes like this have important extra information for European Union (EU) students only. UK students can ignore the EU+ boxes. 

EU/EEA/Swiss Students starting in the 2020/21 academic year

The UK government has confirmed that EU/EEA students starting their Higher Education course up to and including starting in the academic year 2020/21 will be able to access UK government funding on the same basis as they can currently, for the duration of their course. Please see the eligibility section at the end of this guide for information about the eligibility rules for UK government Student Finance.

EU/EEA/Swiss Students starting in the 2021/22 academic year

The regulations on Student Finance eligibility for EU/EEA students starting a university course in the 2021/22 academic year have recently been published by the UK government. This guidance will be updated shortly. 

Please also see our EU/EEA Fees and Funding webpage which we will update as more information is released.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top