EU/EEA Students

Many of the resources on our web pages are for home and EU/EEA students and prospective students. 

The information in the Money section of the website is for students who pay the home/EU tuition fee - in the funding advice guides in the pages for either undergraduate or postgraduates you will see information specifically for EU/EEA students, for example about eligibility for UK government student finance.

If you are unsure whether you are liable for the home or overseas rate of tuition fee, see our guidance on this. There is also guidance about paying your tuition fees in both the undergraduate and postgraduate web pages. 

There is also useful information about the cost of living for students in London, and how to plan your own budget.

You may also find some of our international webpages useful too, for information about how life in the UK may be different to your home country. You will find information on academic life in the UK, social and cultural life as well as information on accessing healthcare, travel in London and the UK, personal safety and contacting home.

The UKCISA (the UK Council for International Student Affairs) website has lots of information for EU/EEA students including:

If there is any information you need which you are unable to find, please contact us


We understand that you may be feeling anxious about your situation in the UK following the decision to leave the EU.   

ILPA (The Immigration Law Practitioners' Association) has produced a number of information sheets about EU rights of residence and the issues affecting citizens from the European Economic Area (EEA) and from Switzerland and their family members living in the UK in the context of Brexit. This includes an infromation sheet specifically for students. 

2017 and 2018 University entrants 

The UK government has confirmed that EU students applying for university places starting in 2017 will continue to remain eligible for UK government funding for the duration of their studies.  
The UK government has also confirmed that EU students starting in the 2018-19 academic year will continue to remain eligible for UK government funding in 2018-19, even if the course ends after the UK's exit from the EU. 
EU nationals will also remain eligible to apply for Research Council PhD studentships at UK institutions for 2018 to 2019 to help cover costs for the duration of their study.
It has also been confirmed that tuition fee levels for EU students who enter UK Higher Education in 2017 and 2018 will remain at the same level of that of UK students. In September 2017 tuition fees for UK and EU students who enrol at Queen Mary University of London will be £9,250. For more information click here

2016 Entrants

QMUL is providing a guarantee that the fee structure of current students as well as 2016 entrants, from other European Union countries studying at QMUL, will remain aligned with that of students from the UK (where they meet existing eligibility criteria), for the normal duration of their course at QMUL.
The Student Loans Company has provided reassurance that loans will be offered for the duration of those courses, as follows:

“EU nationals or their family members, currently in higher education, and who are assessed as eligible to receive loans and/or grants from the Student Loans Company (SLC), will continue to receive these loans and grants until they finish their course. This applies to all student finance from the SLC for students in England for which EU nationals are eligible. This includes loans to cover tuition fees (for those resident in the European Economic Area for three years), loans and grants for maintenance (limited to those resident in the UK for at least three years), and some other grants and allowances.
The rules applying to EU nationals, or their family members, who have applied for a place at university from this August to study a course which attracts student support are unchanged. The SLC will assess these applications against existing eligibility criteria, and will provide loans and/or grants in the normal way. EU nationals, or their family members, who are assessed as eligible to receive grants and/ or loans by the SLC will then be eligible for the duration of their study on that course. These eligibility criteria set out that for students beginning study from this August, EU nationals must have been resident in the UK for at least five years in order to apply for a maintenance loan.”  Read the full statement here.