Advice and Counselling Service

EU/ EEA menu

Rights in the UK (immigration, healthcare, working, study and other rights)

EU/ EEA & Swiss students current rights in the UK (during the transitional period)

Immigration/ Entering the UK




Exercising other rights

Immigration/ Entering the UK

EU/ EEA (& Swiss) students who are already resident in the UK before 31 December 2020 will be able to exercise their rights to enter and reside in the UK until that date, without the need for additional immigration permission, just by producing a valid passport.

National identity cards from EU/ EEA member states can also be used curently.

The UK government website provides guidance on rights to enter the UK and on rights to reside in the UK

There is some specific information for Irish citizens on the UK government website

Most EU/ EEA nationals who wish to continue to reside in the UK beyond 31 December 2020 will need to apply to the EU settlement Scheme or for another immigration other status in order to remain in the UK beyond then. More information can be found in our About the EU Settlement Scheme webpages.


We recommend that you register with a doctor (GP) as soon as you can after you arrive in the UK.

Detailed information for international and EU/EEA students on seeing a doctor, medical emergencies, other healthcare services, dentist and eye-sight is on Queen Mary University of London's Student Health web pages

EU/ EEA citizens will continue to be able to access NHS services as they do now until 31 December 2020 regardless of having made an application for settled or pre-settled status.

Those who apply to the EU Settlement Scheme successfully will have access beyond this date if granted either settled status or pre-settled status.  

Until the UK exits the European Union existing European free movement rules apply, including the requirement to hold Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (“CSI”) for students and self-sufficient people. This would usually mean holding a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a private health insurance policy. UKCISA has information about the EHIC. 

Whilst there is a requirement for permanent residence applications for EEA citizens coming to the UK as either a student or a self-sufficient person to prove that they have had CSI in place for at least five years, the Government has confirmed that evidence of CSI is not required for the Settled Status Scheme. The UK has decided, as a matter of domestic policy, that the main requirement for eligibility under the settlement scheme will be continuous residence in the UK.


We have written an advice guide about Part time and vacation work (how to look for a job, how much you can get paid, how to get a National Insurance number, will you pay Income Tax, can you work as an EU/ EEA national).

Currently, EU/ EEA citizens are able to work in the UK restriction free and only have to show an employer a valid passport or national identity card. This will be the case until at least 31 December 2020.

The UK government website provides guidance for employers on EU/ EEA citizens rights to work in the UK.

Information about applying to stay in the UK after 31 December 2020 can be found in our About the EU Settlement Scheme webpages.


We have guidance on our website about studying at Queen Mary, including study support and changes to your studies. EU/ EEA national.

See our Fees & Funding pages for EU/ EEA students for more information on the current eligibility rules for tuition fee and living cost support.

Exercising other rights & services in the UK

EU/ EEA students who are in the UK before 31 December 2020 can access other rights and services, such as renting a property by showing an EU/ EEA passport or national identity card.

The UK government have published guidance to landlords among others about how EU/ EEA citizens can prove their rights in the UK.

Information about staying in the UK after 31 December 2020 can be found in our About the EU Settlement Scheme webpages.

Return to top