Advice and Counselling Service

Emotional Wellbeing menu

Emotional support at QMUL and beyond

There is a wide range of support available to you if you are struggling with your emotional wellbeing - some within Queen Mary University of London and some outside Queen Mary.  

What is best for you depends on your situation, so we have provided some information here to help you see what the different services offer and how they might help you.  Sometimes, you might need to use more than one service.




This service offers confidential advice and representation on a range of academic issues, including: 

  • Applications for extenuating circumstances
  • Requests for a review of an exam board decision
  • Allegations of plagiarism or an examination offences
  • Allegations of breach of the code of student discipline
  • Appeals against the outcome of a disciplinary hearing, either under the examination offences regulations or the code of student discipline
  • Appeals against deregistration from a module or course
  • Complaints regarding a member of staff or course delivery
  • Bullying or harassment by a member of staff or fellow student
  • PhD supervision
  • Fitness to practice issues

If you are having difficulties which are affecting your wellbeing and / or your studies, it is important to speak to your academic school or institute as soon as possible.  If they know about your situation, they can advise you about any support they might be able to provide, for example if you need more time to complete coursework.  If attendance is a key requirement of your programme and you are missing university, your academic school or institute needs to know so that they can support you and agree with you how to best manage your situation. 

Most schools have a Student Support Officer or Manager who is normally the best person for you to contact first.  You can find the details of the Student Support staff member for your School here

You will also have an academic adviser (sometimes called a personal tutor or mentor) and you can speak to them too.  Your School / Institute office can tell you who your allocated staff member is and how best to contact them, if you don't already know.

Some Schools and Institutes have Senior Tutors, and every degree has a Programme Director, so these are also people you can speak to if necessary. Again, your School / Institute office can tell you who it is best for you to speak to, depending on your situation.

The Queen Mary University of London Disability and Dyslexia Service provides a wide range of confidential advice and support for students with a disability, including mental health conditions or specific learning difficulties.

Some of your emotional concerns might be coming from worries about whether you have chosen the right course and / or dilemmas about what you want to do after university. You might be anxious about not being able to find part time work, an internship or work experience. The Queen Mary University of London Careers and Enterprise Service can provide advice and support with these issues.

Faith and support at Queen Mary University of London provides support and facilities for students with a faith, and those with none.  St Benet's Chaplaincy is a Christian chapel and meeting place on the Mile End campus and their chaplains support students in any way they can, as well as engaging with spiritual aspects of university life. The chaplaincy runs film nights, lunches and other events to offer students a social and contemplative place to be at Queen Mary.

The Mental Health Co-ordinator (who is part of DDS) is a first point of contact for students who have a diagnosed mental health condition and students who are experiencing an emerging mental health condition. The aim of this support is to enable you to manage your mental health condition alongside the demands of your studies and life as a student.  Weekly mentoring sessions are also available, to help support students with mental health conditions.

London is an exciting place to live and study, but like any city you need to be sensible and it is important that you look after yourself and your belongings. Queen Mary University of London's Security Service provides information and advice about how to stay safe, and the Queen Mary Personal Safety Guide [PDF 346KB] contains more detailed tips and information.

Here at the Advice and Counselling Service at Queen Mary University of London, we offer short-term counselling. Most students who come to meet with a counsellor, find this short-term approach very helpful and that it meets their needs.

Sometimes students may wish to access longer-term therapy through an external service. If you are considering longer-term therapy, it may still be useful to come and see us for a counselling appointment as we can help you to assess whether this is the right step for you and help to point you in the right direction.

If you are interested in finding out more about the kind of services that offer longer term therapy in this area, we have created a short list of some of the agencies offering free or low-cost longer-term therapy. Waiting lists for these services vary and can range from several weeks to over six months so remember to ask about this when you contact them.

Also, aside from longer-term therapy, see below for details of free NHS psychological services, local services for mental health support, recovery and wellbeing, and private therapists.

Please note: These recommendations are based on our knowledge of which services Queen Mary students have generally found useful in the past.



Free counselling and advice for young people aged 11-25. Available to anyone in London, not borough specific. Counselling is sometimes available up to a year.

Step Forward also run an LGBTQ regular weekly personal development group- young people can contact for more information

Introduction to mindfulness groups are also available: contact

They also offer a support group for young people aged 16-25 affected by sexual violence: email

Address: 234 Bethnal Green Road, E2 0AA

Tel: 020 7739 3082





Low fee psychoanalytic psychotherapy is available via AGIP’s Fairbridge Clinic, usually in Archway, N19 (ask for low fee service). This service offers once or twice weekly therapy.  Once weekly requires a commitment of 1 year, and twice weekly requires 2 years. Individuals and couples.

Address: 1 Fairbridge Road, London N19 3EW.

Tel: 020 7272 7013


Enquiries online here:



This is a professional and training organisation for psychoanalytic psychotherapists. They offer a referral service for private psychoanalytic psychotherapy, across London and the surrounding areas. There is a reduced fee clinic for people on low income living in Southwark, Lambeth and Lewisham. Weekly/twice weekly appointments are available up to 2 years.

Address: 47 Nelson Square, Blackfriars Road, London SE1 0QA

Tel: 020 7401 3370/020 8471 8016



A low fee counselling service is offered for anyone in London. This service offers psychodynamic, person centred and CBT therapies. Long-term work is sometimes available.

Address: Barley Mow Clinic, Greet House, Frazier St, SE1 7BD

Tel: 020 7928 3462





Arbours offer low fee Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy in North & South London offering once or twice weekly therapy. Individual, couples and group therapy are all available. All therapists are registered with The UK Council for Psychotherapy and listed on the UKCP site. This is an internationally renowned registered charity with over 40 years’ experience.

Tel: 020 8340 7646



Enquiries online here:



Mind is a national charity providing advice and support for individuals experiencing mental health problems. Counselling is often free or low cost and they offer a range of services, which varies by borough:

Inspire Mental Health Recovery & Wellbeing Services currently offers its services to students studying in Tower Hamlets as well as local. They partner with Mind to offer counselling services but also offer a number of other very useful services to meet a variety of mental health concerns and needs, such as groups and workshops:



There are free NHS psychological therapies available in Tower hamlets and across London, see below:


Tower Hamlets Talking Therapies:

Local providers of NHS psychological services in Tower Hamlets offering a range of free talking therapies including CBT, as well as an option for digital support which can typically have shorter waiting periods than face to face therapy. Please see link for further information and referral details:

The IAPT programme provides therapeutic treatment via the NHS for people suffering from depression and anxiety. CBT is offered through this service, some other talking therapies can be available too.

The majority of London IAPT services are self-referral so you can usually make an appointment without seeing a GP first.

Website: overall service and for other boroughs -




If you are interested in looking for a private therapist/counsellor then start by looking at the organisations listed below. The BABCP will help you find a CBT therapist and BABCP offers a register for different kinds of therapists. You will almost certainly have to pay more to see a private therapist/counsellor than if you went to some of the organisations listed above, though some practitioners may offer reduced rates for students. It would always be a good idea to speak with one of the counsellors at ACS to think together about the kind of therapy or counselling you might need and ways to go about finding a suitable person to work with 

The BABCP is the lead organisation for CBT in the UK.  It aims to promote the practice, theory, and development of CBT.  BABCP is the only organisation which accredits CBT therapists. You can search online for accredited BABCP CBT therapists.

Tel: 0161 705 4304


Website: and



The BACP is a membership organisation that sets standards for therapeutic practice and provides information for therapists, clients of therapy, and the general public.

The BACP’s interactive website “It’s good to talk” is designed to inform the public about counselling. You can search online for a counsellor and call to speak to someone about any queries or concerns you have about counselling.

Tel: 01455 88 33 00


Website: and

The Queen Mary University Students Union peer mentoring scheme is a voluntary scheme which matches small groups of incoming first year students, with an exisiting Queen Mary student. The aim of the scheme is to help new university students to settle in to university life and meet new people.  It also aims to build a community at Queen Mary, and to offer students a supportive enviroment for making the most of their time at university.

Living in halls can be both one of the most rewarding and challenging aspects of your time at university. Issues arising through communal living can usually be resolved by flatmates talking things through. However, sometimes it may help to contact Residential Support. They can arrange mediation between flatmates where there is conflict and distress, and deal with other residential probelms.

All students should register with a doctor (GP - General Practitioner) as soon as they start university.  Your GP is your first point of contact for your physical and mental health, and has responsibility for your medical care.

Do not wait until you become unwell, as most GPs will not see you if you are not already a registered patient.

There is an NHS Student Health Service available on the Mile End campus for Queen Mary University of London students living in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets (postcodes E1, E2, E3 and E14). If you live outside these postcodes, you can find your nearest GP practice through the NHS website. Select GP on the 'Services Near You' search function, and enter your postcode. You'll then be shown a list of the nearest GP practices to where you live. 

Health E1 GP Practice. The practice registers people who are street homeless, sofa surfing or in hostel accommodation in the borough of Tower Hamlets.


If you're struggling with the academic aspect of your studies, please speak to your academic adviser / personal tutor or mentor in the first instance. Other useful services include:

  • Learning Development - offers one to one tutorials, tailor made small group tutorials, exam and revision support, one to one tutorials with published authors and more
  • Language Centre - support with academic English and study skills for students who use English as a second language
  • Disability and Dyslexia Service - If you have a specific learning difficulty such as Dyslexia
  • Peer Assisted Study Support (PASS) - subject specific advice and support from more senior students in your academic school / institute

You might need to contact services outside Queen Mary University of London if you need help in a crisis, if you need support when Queen Mary is closed or if you need the services of a more specialist service provider.

We have information on our website to help you with these issues. Our Common Problems page also has links to external agencies according to presenting issue.

Return to top