Advice and Counselling Service

Emotional Wellbeing menu


We offer a range of things to support your emotional wellbeing at QMUL.


Help in a crisis

 See our help in a crisis information if you or someone you know is at a point of crisis and needs to speak to someone immediately.

Seeing a Counsellor

We offer a confidential service where you can talk with a specialist student counsellor about anything that is troubling you. No issue is too small or too large to bring to counselling.

We find that some students may be helped to understand what they are going through in an initial session with a counsellor, and may not need further sessions.  Many benefit from a few sessions to work through whatever is troubling them.  Some students have long-standing difficulties which may need on-going support. 

We aim to work with all students who come to see us, and will offer you short term counselling if that is appropriate.  Or, we may help you to access other kinds of support if that is what is needed. Even if you think that you may need other sources of help beyond our service, it is usually be a good idea to make an appointment to speak with one of our professional counsellors as we are experienced at working with students and can offer you a supportive space to think about what help you might want.

Find out how to see a counsellor and read about the different types of face to face support we offer.


Look after yourself

Paying some attention to your emotional wellbeing is crucial so that you can have an enjoyable and successful time at university.

This information offers some good advice about looking after your general physical, emotional and mental health.



Our self-help section includes an A-Z of common problems, with sources of further support for each topic.  It also offers some online self-help programmes, and explains our bibliotherapy scheme which includes our recommendations of self-help books that you can borrow from the QMUL library.


Personal Development Workshops

Our workshops are open to all students at the university. You don’t have to have seen a counsellor to come along. They are designed to help you develop understanding and skills and deal with issues relating to confidence, sleeping well, study issues and blocks and exam stress.


Mental Health Support

If you have been given a diagnosis of a mental health condition by a medical professional, you should contact the mental health team at QMUL. Their role in the university is to put in place the support you need to minimise the impact of your mental health difficulty on your academic performance and student life. They can help you to access academic support, offer regular mental health mentoring if appropriate, and can liaise with your academic school with your consent, so that the school understands what you need to help things run smoothly. If the mental health team think that counselling might also be helpful, they can refer you to us. Contact the mentalhealth team here.


Academic concerns

If you are worried because problems you are having are preventing you from attending classes, delaying submission of course work or making it impossible to sit an exam, then you need to speak to your Student Support Officer in your academic school as soon as possible.  We find that once a plan is in place to remedy the academic issues, emotional problems can feel a lot less intense. You might also want to think about the underlying reasons why you might be struggling to work effectively and also gain some practical strategies to help you re-engage with your work - seeing a counsellor can help with this, as well as attending one of our workshops.


Seeing your doctor (GP)

If your emotional difficulties are having a serious impact on your functioning, it is important that your GP knows this, as they are their to support your emotional well-being as well as your physical health. For example, if you are having problems sleeping or eating, or if you are consistently unable to study or socialise, a GP can support you to access NHS mental health services and may prescribe medication to help you. If you have not been attending lectures/seminars, missed coursework deadlines or feel unfit to sit exams your GP can provide evidence to support extenuating circumstances, so it is important they know if you are struggling, before things become too serious.

Return to top