Skip to main content

Advice and Counselling Service

Domestic abuse

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse, or domestic violence, is defined as any incident of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of their gender or sexuality. 

If you are experiencing abusive behaviour, it is important to remember that the abuse is not your fault, that domestic abuse is against the law, and that you don't have to deal with this on your own because there is a lot support available.

Queen Mary's Report and Support webpages provide more information about domestic and/or familial abuse, including details of specialist external organisations who can help.

You can use Report and Support to do any or all of the following:

  • Let the University know about your experience (and help inform future prevention work).
  • Request suppport from the Advice and Counselling Service. 
  • Request formal action (such as a University investigation).

 Alternatively, you can contact the Advice and Counselling Service directly for advice and support to help you decide what course of action you may want to take.

Support from the Advice and Counselling Service

In an emergency you should call the Police on 999 (you do not need a signal or credit to do so). We would also encourage you to call the 24 hour National Domestic Violence helpline on 0808 2000 247.

You can contact us to arrange to see a Welfare Adviser, who can offer you advice and guidance with practical issues. It is important to understand that Welfare Advisers will always work from your point of view; they will not impose any decisions on you. The adviser will help you access specialist external support for independent, confidential advice and information. The adviser will help you to understand what options are available at Queen Mary University of London, for example how to find alternative accommodation, and to access financial support. If your situation is adversely affecting your studies, we can advise you about academic options such as submitting a claim for Extenuating Circumstances if you have been unable to attend exams, or taking time out of your studies.

You can contact us to arrange to see a counsellor, to get support with the difficult emotions you may be experiencing as a result of domestic abuse, or fear of domestic abuse. Having the space to think about your feelings in a confidential setting can help you to decide what action you want to take (if any), and can help you to feel emotionally supported in your choice.

Please be reassured that the Advice and Counselling Service is confidential. This means that the fact that you have attended appointments at the Advice and Counselling Service, and anything discussed during appointments, will not normally be passed to anyone outside the Service without your permission. You can read our Confidentiality policy here.

Return to top