Skip to main content

Advice and Counselling Service

Immigration Reporting and Curtailment

As your Tier 4/Student sponsor, Queen Mary University of London is required to report some matters to the Home Office. This includes if any of the following events occur:

  • you don’t enrol on your programme of studies
  • you are de-registered for non-payment of tuition fees
  • you fail to attend or engage with your programme of studies
  • you interrupt your studies for more than 60 days
  • you are required to re-sit out of attendance
  • you finish your studies earlier than expected
  • you withdraw from your studies

The report from Queen Mary is sent to the Home Office electronically. The report means that Queen Mary will stop sponsoring your immigration permission. You will normally receive confirmation of this report from the Academic Registry (this may be included in the letter confirming that one of the above has happened).

When Queen Mary sends the report to the Home Office, it will include your term-time contact address, phone number and e-mail address. For this reason, it is very important that you make sure that your term-time contact details on MySIS ( are always up to date.

Our understanding is that, if the event which triggers the report occurred after the official end date of your course, Queen Mary will not report anything to the Home Office. If you are unsure, please contact the Student Enquiry Centre, who will be able to confirm if a report has been made.

If this applies to you, click on the sections below to find out what will happen. You may also find it useful to read our guide to Resitting, Interrupting, or Leaving your course, which explains the Queen Mary procedures.  


If you are in any doubt about what you should do, you should:

  1. Leave the UK within 60 days of the date that Queen Mary informs you that you will be reported to the Home Office
  2. Make a new immigration application before returning to the UK
Return to top