PLEASE NOTE: Things may be different or restricted due to the current situation. You can stay up to date by reading our dedicated webpage on immigration covid-19 / coronavirus: https://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/international/immigration-and-covid-19-coronavirus/
- If you have been granted Tier 4 immigration permission, check our useful information about entering the UK.
- If you are a Tier 4 student (or family member) and your immigration permission allows you to remain in the UK for more than six months and you applied for this permission while outside of the UK, you will need to collect your biometric residence permit (BRP) once you have entered the UK. You will need to collect this from the Post Office you have chosen within 10 days of arriving in the UK. One you have collected your BRP card keep it somewhere safe at home. You do not normally need to carry it with you in the UK and if you lose it, it takes a long time to replace and it is expensive. You can buy a Totem card as evidence of your age to buy alcohol or cigarettes or enter pubs and clubs.
- If you are coming to study for less than six months and you are eligible to apply on arrival for permission to enter the UK as a Short Term Student, do not use the E-gates to enter the UK because you will not see a Border Force Officer who needs to stamp your passport with your short term student permission.
- Our Welcome Programme for new students offers sessions with vital information about settling into the UK and Queen Mary University of London. There are also plenty of opportunities to meet other students.
- We recommend that you register with a doctor (GP) as soon as you can after you arrive in the UK. You can find instructions on how and where to register on the Student Health web pages.
- You may need to Register with the Police.