Advice and Counselling Service

About us menu


If the Advice and Counselling Service is closed, or if you need another of Queen Mary's support services, please see the following information:

Out of hours emergency contacts at Queen Mary
Emergencies and medical issues
Housing issues
Financial issues
Academic issues

Support in your academic school
Legal issues

Other Student Support Services at Queen Mary

Please see Support outside Queen Mary for alternative sources of support external to Queen Mary that could help with a range of practical and personal problems if the Advice and Counselling Service is closed.

Out of hours emergency contacts at Queen Mary

Some offices and departments at Queen Mary can be contacted after hours in a crisis or emergency:

Security on the Mile End Campus is maintained on a 24-hour basis throughout the year. In addition to normal security duties and patrols, the control centre at the front of the Queens' Building provides the main contact point for all emergencies, accidents and other security related incidents, such as thefts, loss and break-ins. If you live on campus, use the internal extension on your floor to ring 3333, or ring 020 7882 5000.

Someone is available 24 hours a day in the Residences Reception for maintenance emergencies or other very urgent matters to do with residences. This is not to be used for routine enquiries about housing, or to contact residents out of hours. 

For the Mile End reception: 020 7882 2610. 

For Dawson Hall, Charterhouse Square: 020 7882 5854. 

For Floyer House, Whitechapel: 020 7882 7215.

In an emergency only, you can contact Reverend Ella Sharples, the Queen Mary Chaplain, outside office hours on 07 740 547 689. Leave a message and Ella will ring you back, or email Ella via the St Benet's Chaplaincy website.

Emergencies and medical issues

Globe Town Surgery provides health care services for all students on campus. Please see their website for further information or to register online: Student Health Service

The Occupational Health Service may be able to help students who are feeling unwell, if the Student Health Service is closed.

Housing issues

Residential Services and Support

Advice about Queen Mary halls of residence, problems in Queen Mary halls, finding private accommodation, summer vacation accommodation, tenancy problems and tenancy checking service

Financial issues

Bursaries, grants and scholarships Office

Information on emergency loans, hardship funds, student loan queries
Location: Student Enquiry Centre, CB05 Queens’ Building
Telephone: 020 7882 5079
Telephone: 020 7882 7610

Academic issues

Academic Advice Service

Advice, support and representation from Queen Mary Students' Union in relation to academic appeals and complaints
Information on your rights and entitlements as a student

QM Appeals and complaints unit: information about QM policies and procedures

Support in your academic school

There are many staff available to provide support and advice in your academic school: every student has a personal academic adviser (sometimes also called a personal tutor) and every degree has a programme director. Most schools also have a student support officer or manager who is normally the first point of contact for students who need support and / or who are having problems:

Legal issues

Department of Law Legal Advice Centre

Legal Advice from QM students, under supervision from qualified solicitors, on housing law, employment law, consumer transactions and contract law

Other Student Support Services at QM

Videos introducing key student support services at QM

Student Enquiry Centre

Careers and Enterprise Centre

Disability and Dyslexia Service

Mental Health support and mentoring services

Learning Development: support with writing, study skills, maths support and much more

Study support from other QM students: Peer Assisted Study Support

Student Health Service

Faith Services

Library Services

Residential Support

Return to top